Profile: Nariman a.k.a Putri

Wherever the wind blows :), Singapore
I'm a Jack of all Trades. But a Master of None. However, my primary passion is in Teaching. I'm very expressive with my emotions .... hence ... I'm no good in a poker game :) Love all the romanticism that life can offer. Love my family, my one and ONLY. Last but not least my surrogate family my baby Princess and Chomelanggun.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sulastri's Journey - The Beginning

Getting a live in maid was new to me.  As this would be the first time I'll be sharing my space for the longest time.  I had my reservations at the beginning. .... What would she be like?  Could she get use to our culture and habits?  Food wise .... is hse the adventurous type.

I remembered our telephone conversation.  I asked if she was willing to learn new things and accept it with an open mind.  She kept saying YES, Yes.  At that point of time I was not sure if it was sincerity or lack of understanding.

The process itself took about a month.  She finally arrived on Feb 10th.  I ran down with her some basic rules and our expectation of her.  It was the following day that it finally dawned on me that she understood very little English.  So I told her ... ok. 2 hours daily she sits with me to study English.  This consists of reading, comprehension, vocab, vocal exercises.

In the very beginning - things like do not litter.  Hygiene standard is not up to par.  Proper manners, etiquette, civil were not up to par.  This made me more curious on how she brought up her two sons and how she ran her household. 

Using proper equipment for proper purpose need to be shown (but this part I was not surprised).

She is not ambitious and have a minimal curious mind.  I have to encourage her and spot check on her work.  Somehow I get the feeling is that from her stand point - as long as I get the job done.  Without wanting to know why or how is the best way to complete the job efficiently.

 

No comments: